Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Day of Food

My Day of documenting everything I consumed:

From the time I got out of bed at 4:45 am and went to bed at approximatrly 11:00pm that night, I wrote down everything I ate and drank.

I consumed 6 cups of coffee throughout the day-my cups are larger than the 6 oz. choice listed on "Balance Mind Body and Soul."..Mine are closer to 10-12 oz. cups w/ sweet n low packet in each cup which has no nutritional value. 0 calories

Items listed below were not on the list of choices:
I consumed 2 -20 oz. watter bottles mixed with Crystal Light nutritional value on package: 5 calories per pack and no other nutritional value. 10 cal. total

I used 2 tablespoons of Ranch dressing on my salad of 4 oz.romaine, 1 egg, 2 oz. cheese, and 2 crumbled sausage patties. The Ranch dressing per serving has 140 calories, 14 gram fat, carbohydrates 2, saturated fats 2.5 gram, fiber 0, trans fat 0, sugars 1 gram, cholesterol 10 mg., protein 1, sodium 260 mg. 140 cal. total




I follow a low carbohydrate eating lifestyle/approach and on this particular day I kept my carbs at 18 total. I have been eating the low carb way since the middle of 2003 with a few minor time periods where I did not pay attention to my carb count. I have had food and weight issues since I was 11-12 years of age and throughout most of my life I have been what I consider too weight focused and also over weight. Since 2003 when I accidently stumbled upon the Atkins philosophy ( on the HSN channel in the middle of the night eating frozen cookie dough mindlessly), I have been able to de-focus from food somewhat and also to lose weight quickly initially and then take it off fairly easily (with LOTS of exercise!) and mindfulness of what I am consuming when I put some pounds back on over time. I initially dropped about 35 pounds back in 03-04 and then put a few lbs. back on 12-15 lbs. but started walking/running and returning to the Induction phase of Atkins, which is keeping under 10 carbs a day to take the weight gain off. Fifteen months ago I quit smoking (after 32 years of smoking) so I put about 15-18 lbs on after quitting- but in the past 3 months I have been able to lose about 9 of those pounds so I still have 6-9 more to drop. The Atkins works great for me but I think about and worry sometimes because I don't eat fruit. I rarely eat veggies. I eat tons of meat, eggs, pork rinds, and cheese but NOT living food. My medical labs always come back great on my cholesterol and liver functions and also my blood sugar is always right about 80 everytime I've checked it. I have tons of energy, can run half marathons and hike down to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (I did it last weekend and it was soooo amazing!!) My body and system thrives without processed sugar products being a part of my diet. I have occasionally "went on a binge" where I almost compulsively am obsessed with some high sugar food item (like canned frosting) and if I let my mind trick me into thinking/believing I will "just eat one spoonful" then I am done for!!! I will usually eat the entire container, throw away the evidence, and then go through a physical sugar cycle of detox. This doesn't occur very often fortunately. The low-carb idea works well for me because I have some foods that I can eat without limit as long as they do not contain carbs. This is helpful for me. Food tends to control me less today.I think my metabolism works well with very low carbs, much better than with the way I was eating before.

www.medindia.net Atkins nutritional food pyriamid


www.mattscott5000.com Atkins posing with acceptable foods for the eating style he developed

Three Questions:

How healthy a daily diet do you think this is?

A- I think the diet I ate for the day was "healthy" because I focus my attention on carbohydrates, however, I have been recently questioning my choices in respect to my consuption, or lack of, living foods.

Why?

My dietary choices follow the Atkins approach. I feel very healthy and also perform well in activities. My physician has been supportive of my eating style.

What would you change about this days eating, if anything?

A- I would not change anything- this is a typical day for me.

Do you find this kind of nutritional tracking helpful?

A- I think this type of tracking is useful and also helpful.

Why or why not?

A- It is helpful because I was actually surprised at my carb intake, it was more than I had predicted. I think this may be a typical outcome- numbers being more than what a person would think them to be. It is a good system to see various parts of nutritional values broken down.

No comments: