Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Self and Unit Evaluation

REGARDING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE

1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?

A- I am proud of my Physiology Exercise Lab project the most. It was fun and challenging to

collect and put together all of the data. I enjoyed applying the unit information toward this lab

assignment. Chapters 5 and 6 were really helpful when formulating my hypothesis and making

educated assumptions on the outcomes. I also liked learning how to make my graphs on the

computer web link! Secondly, I am proud of my Compendium Review for Chapters 5 and 6. I

took alot of time reading, looking up information, and then putting it into my compendium. It

was rewarding because it feels thorough without corners being cut. Thirdly, the aspect I take

pride in throughout this unit is my personal reflection on, “What does food really mean to me?”

My nutritional choices of the past five years for myself do not reflect who I have become and

what I believe. The Ethical Issue for unit two has taken up a lot of my head space in the past

three weeks and I feel like I am getting ready for a “nutritional shift”. I actually think it will be a

“whole body” type of shift, meaning body, mind, and especially spirit. I read through all of the

links you provided for the Ethical Issue and that was only the beginning. I have started to

evaluate my food values and how they relate to the “wholeness” of my life and those I love that I

provide food for. Writing my ethical issue paper gave me a reconnection to my childhood

memories of growing up on a farm. I am very proud of who I am and the people I come from!


2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?

A- I think I could have done a more thorough and thoughtful Compendium Review on Immunity
and Microbes/AIDS chapters. I feel like I did the basic coverage and that was all. I have

someone very close to me who has AIDS and at this time I am not dealing with it. The second

area I can improve on are my quiz scores. I get test fear and I freeze up, sometimes I feel

physically ill when I am testing. I am working on relaxing. As I mentioned to you via e-mail, how

ironic that when I accidently opened the test for unit three I got 80 %, which is great for me! I

truly think my regular test anxiety was less because I was really worried about opening and

having to take the wrong test.

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?

B+ or an A -

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?

A- Remember that this class has a lot of required work and to plan accordingly with my time. I

will be a non-procrastinator!!


REGARDING THE UNIT

1.At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

A- I think it was when Mr. Frolich said on the video he was going outside the “box” of the text

book format and wanted me to think about what food really means to me in my life.


2.At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course?


A- I felt the most distance when I was using the “Body Mind Spirit” food guide, as well as some

other food calculators. I couldn’t find many of my items listed. I also felt exposed and

uncomfortable when I looked at my listing of foods I ate that day and saw what it really looked

like to me.

3.What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?


A- The most affirming thing I experienced this unit was reading one of my class mates blog

entries and seeing her written piece on Autism and by her sharing a personal bit on how Autism

has touched her life. It’s sort of like the shift I am having internally about some other personal

stuff right now. The blog piece reminds me there are some important things in my life and then

there are some things that I try to make huge and important and they are not at all. More

practically, the time extension was very nice as I have other classes and a full time job and a

regularly committed life.

4.What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling
or confusing?



A- The instructions for the Physiology Exercise Lab Project were not clear to me at first until I

broke it down and did it step by step.



5.What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own
reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)



A- My surprise came when I realized how unspiritual I have been in the area of food in my life. I

have known it for quite awhile now inside myself but I wasn’t ready to even think about it. Food

is supposed to be an expression of love, whether it is for myself or for others I cook and prepare

food for. I think I may have some other issues to deal with surrounding foods that have more to

do with recovery and choosing healthy behaviors for myself. I am familiar with recovery in my

life so I think this may be my next area of spiritual growth and I am looking forward to it!

No comments: