Thursday, October 23, 2008

Unit Two Lab Project-Exercise Physiology

www.howstuffworks.com aerobic exercise depends on the cardiovascular/respiration system to supply oxygen and nutrients as well as take away toxins from cells by using the heart pumping process to create energy in the body systems to meet the cardiovascular demand

Exercise Physiology Lab Study for Unit Two

INTRODUCTION

My lab project for unit two focused on the cardiovascular and respiration system during three different activities/exercises of my choosing plus during my “baseline”, at rest rate.
I was instructed to come up with a hypothesis on if I thought my metabolic rates would change with the various activities.

My instructions were to measure my pulse, respiration, systolic, and my diastolic rates after performing each of my four activities (I am including my baseline as an activity).

I chose to measure my rates five times (5) for each category and then calculate my “mean” rate on each measurement.

The three activities I chose were, reading my daily newspaper in my rocking chair, vacuuming my carpet for 2 minutes, and doing 25 jumping jacks.
HYPOTHESIS
I expected my baseline numbers and activity #1 (reading the newspaper) to be very close because these two activities are similar as to how much effort it takes to do them (low output physically by me so low Impact on my cardiovascular and respiration system.

My hypothesis for activity two (vacuuming) and activity three (jumping jacks) was gauged on my knowledge that the more energy and effort I had to use to push the vacuum and to do the jumping jacks the more I would be working (increasing) my cardiovascular/respiration system.

My cardiovascular/respiration system would work harder to insure I got enough blood pumping through my heart to feed the oxygen and nutrients to my organs and my muscles so my body could perform the activities I was asking it to.

My hypothesis was that my respiration, pulse, and my blood pressure would increase noticeably over the rates of the first two sedentary activities.

HYPOTHESIS TABLE FOR MY EXPERIMENT
Activity #1
similar/same-pulse
similar/same-respiration
similar/same-bp systolic
similar/same-bp diastolic

Activity #2
increase-pulse
increase-respiration
increase-bp systolic
increase-bp diastolic
Activity #3
increase-pulse
increase-respiration
increase-bp systolic
increase-bp diastolic

__________________________________________

My technique for taking my pulse was tried two ways, here I am using my fingers on my throat and then below I am counting the beats on my wrist.

_________________________________________________________

Here you see me using a wrist cuff to take my blood pressure. I am able to get the top numbers/systolic and also the bottom number/diastolic with this cuff. The instructions say to keep your cuffed wrist at heart/chest level and to remain still while cuff is in operation.

________________________________________________________

Here I am figuring my respiration rate. I count the times I take a breathe for a 30 second count and then multiply by 2 . (I used an online stop watch to assist me during my respiration reads and also my pulse reads at: http://www.stopwatch.com/ )_________________________________________
BELOW IS MY DATA COLLECTION FOR THE FOUR AREAS OF MEASUREMENT:AT REST/READING NEWS PAPER/VACUUMING/JUMPING JACKS


“AT REST”

BASELINE PULSE
REPETITION 1- 67
REPETITION 2- 66
REPETITION 3- 59
REPETITION 4- 67
REPETITION 5- 65
MEAN 64.8

BASELINE RESPIRATION
REPETITION 1- 12
REPETITION 2- 14
REPETITION 3- 14
REPETITION 4- 10
REPETITION 5- 12
MEAN 12.4

BASELINE SYSTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 122
REPETITION 2- 125
REPETITION 3- 116
REPETITION 4- 120
REPETITION 5- 122
MEAN 121

BASELINE DIASTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 77
REPETITION 2- 80
REPETITION 3- 71
REPETITION 4- 71
REPETITION 5- 81
MEAN 76


ACTIVITY ONE



READING THE NEWSPAPER/PULSE
REPETITION 1- 67
REPETITION 2- 66
REPETITION 3- 59
REPETITION 4- 63
REPETITION 5- 65
MEAN 64

READING THE NEWSPAPER/RESPIRATION
REPETITION 1- 12
REPETITION 2- 12
REPETITION 3- 10
REPETITION 4- 12
REPETITION 5- 14
MEAN 12

READING THE NEWSPAPER/SYSTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 123
REPETITION 2- 117
REPETITION 3- 116
REPETITION 4- 117
REPETITION 5- 117
MEAN 118

READING THE NEWSPAPER/DIASTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 83
REPETITION 2- 77
REPETITION 3- 71
REPETITION 4- 76
REPETITION 5- 77
MEAN 76.8

ACTIVITY TWO


VACUUMING FOR 2 MINUTES/PULSE
REPETITION 1- 78
REPETITION 2- 80
REPETITION 3- 82
REPETITION 4- 74
REPETITION 5- 101
MEAN 83

VACUUMING FOR 2 MINUTES/RESPIRATION
REPETITION1- 18
REPETITION 2- 18
REPETITION 3- 16
REPETITION 4- 16
REPETITION 5- 16
MEAN 16.8

VACUUMING FOR 2 MINUTES/SYSTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 138
REPETITION 2- 118
REPETITION 3- 123
REPETITION 4- 152
REPETITION 5- 126
MEAN 131.4

VACUUMING FOR 2 MINUTES/DIASTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 96
REPETITION 2- 77
REPETITION 3- 80
REPETITION 4- 88
REPETITION 5- 88
MEAN 85.8

ACTIVITY THREE


25 JUMPING JACKS/PULSE
REPETITION 1- 91
REPETITION 2- 69
REPETITION 3- 83
REPETITION 4- 83
REPETITION 5- 70
MEAN 79.2

25 JUMPING JACKS/RESPIRATION
REPETITION 1- 16
REPETITION 2- 16
REPETITION 3- 16
REPETITION 4- 18
REPETITION 5- 16
MEAN 16.4

25 JUMPING JACKS/SYSTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 116
REPETITION 2- 136
REPETITION 3- 126
REPETITION 4- 116
REPETITION 5- 115
MEAN 121.8

25 JUMPING JACKS/DIASTOLIC
REPETITION 1- 71
REPETITION 2- 78
REPETITION 3- 72
REPETITION 4- 70
REPETITION 5- 77
MEAN 73.6




















ABOVE IS MY DATA FED INTO A GRAPH TO SHOW PULSE




















ABOVE IS MY DATA FED INTO A GRAPH TO SHOW RESPIRATION




















ABOVE IS MY DATA FED INTO A GRAPH TO SHOW BP SYSTOLIC




















ABOVE IS MY DATA FED INTO A GRAPH TO SHOW BP DIASTOLIC
__________________________________________________

ANALYSIS OF MY DATA

Analyzing my actual data along with a comparison to my hypothesis leads me to the conclusion that my hypothesis was accurate to my predictions with one exception. Where I was accurate on my predictions was I predicted that activity#2 and #3 would have higher metabolic rates than activity#1 and my "at rest" rates. Where my hypothesis was wrong is found in my diastolic mean rate for jumping jacks was 73.6 which is lower by approximately 3 degrees of my base "at rest" and my "reading the newspaper" rates. This was not a predicted part of my hypothesis. This finding is very surprising to me!When I look at my blood pressure numbers over all for "25 jumping jacks" I am surprised that the numbers are as low as they are. I thought they would be higher. My hypothesis was not very accurate in this area.

PROBLEMS WITH DATA OR TECHNIQUE

I think my data collection techniques were true and accurate. I used skills I learned from this unit to take my pulse and respiration and also used my friends calibrated blood pressure cuff for my metabolic readings. I feel confident on my collection and documentation.

I know that caffeine can affect a persons blood pressure and I drink LARGE amounts of coffee when I have a need to stay up late. Caffeine consumption may have affected my metabolic numbers, I do not know for sure. I may have over-rated the impact that 25 jumping jacks would have on my cardiovascular system so I wrongly assumed my numbers would show more impact.

I also wonder if because I typically walk/run 20+ miles a week that my cardio system may be in much better physical shape than I think it is and that possibly my cardio impact threshold is alot higher than I think it is.I do not know for sure. I would need to formulate a new hypothesis and start over on a new scientific experiment. If I formulated a new hypothesis and re-tested, I would also leave out the caffeine late at night.

CONCLUSION
Overall this experiment has shown me that physical activity causes the heart muscle to work harder to get the blood flowing into other areas of the body. As the heart does its job, it pushes blood and oxygen into all of the areas that require gas exchange, nutrients, waste disposal, and assistance with organ functions to maintain homeostasis within our bodies.


1 comment:

Larry Frolich said...

Hi Kathy,
Thanks so much for this great unit. It was very moving to read about how inspired you were by the nutrition part of the unit...these are hard times to find a good way to eat with thousands of items available in supermarkets and restaurants everywhere!! This is basically a perfect unit...I don't know where I could ask you to do more! Keep up the great work!
LF



LAB PROJECT: This is perfect—you describe and photo the activities, give reasonable hypothesis, great presentation of the data in those beautiful graphs and go back to analyze it. Often systolic doesn't increase with exercise, but you do show it going up with your activities, along with diastolic...I wonder about the wrist cuff...a few years ago when I bought a cuff I heard that the wrist ones aren't very accurate...I wonder if they've gotten better or if you've had much experience with that?? The lab is very well presented—great job!

ETHICS ESSAY: This is a truly fascinating and inspiring essay. I myself don't have that farm experience and I don't think I can remember the kind of change you see in the supermarkets 25 years ago, but I think you are right on and it is so interesting to hear it from such a personal perspective. Then you go and relate it back to what we read about for the unit...really nice job—and such wonderful personally inspired writing!!

COMPENDIUMS: Your compendiums are just fantastically complete and detailed. The talbe of contents is very helpful...all your figures are referenced and you just bring a lot into them...from longer text on some points to bullet lists...and all accurate information. Your interest in food issues really shows on the nutrition compendium...I really liked how you presented your own BMI. And all the comparison data...great job beyond the call of duty!!

ONLINE LABS: These are very well done, basically perfect. I think you took the food for a day much more seriously than most other folks...I don't think anyone really writes down everything they eat and I often get lists of just five or six items (or even less). Obviously you have experience in this with y our dedication to the Atkins diet and I have always been skeptical of that approach so it is interesting to see someone for whom it works. I think all of us have different metabolic processes and different eating styles will work for different people. Congratulations on quitting smoking—that is a great thing I think everyone would agree! I unfortunately couldn't see the second screen of your diet to see the totals (it doesn't expand onto a full screen when you click on it like the first page)...I wonder if your sodium levels were below 100%---they rarely are! The blood pressure lab is fine with great graph and explanation of data.