Friday, November 14, 2008

Unit Three Lab Project: Building a Movable Limb

Lab Project Unit Three; Build a Moveable Limb
Introduction:
My model is of a femur bone , which is the longest and also strongest bone in the body. The femur connects to the tibia. The muscle that is attached to the femur is the thigh muscle, but also the buttocks and hip muscles are in this same region of the lower body. My model shows and explains the workings and functions of the thigh muscle. The area I am focusing on is at the top of the femur. This is where the “lesser and greater trochanters are located and this is also where the muscle attaches and begins as it runs the length of the femur.

List of Limb Parts and Their Model Representation:




The parts to my model )from top to bottom)
Coxal Bone/includes ilium, pubis, ischium- I made them from construction paper and play dough-
Ace tabulum/head of femur, and “neck”- I made these from construction paper, magic marker, and play dough-
Greater and Lesser Trochanter- I made these from play dough-
Femur- I used a wooded spoon for the bone-
Medial Candyle /Lateral Epicondyle- I made these from Play dough-
Pantella (Kneecap) Construction paper
Tibial Tuberosity and Head of Fibula are made of Play dough
Tibia and the fibula are both represented by marker on construction paper-











These are my supplies I used for my project















This light blue poster has my femur bone /parts/ muscle theme all layed out:

The white poster board shows and explains a muscle cell and how it contracts due to actin/myosin filiments (cross-over). My second board also shows and explains about neurons that go to muscle cells that cause contraction. The second board shows the workings of a muscle fiber and a motor fiber and also on the cellular level how Calcium binds to Myosin sites.


Mydark blue poster board shows a Neuron /axon with Schwann Cells and the process of Action Potential.


Conclusion: My models show some of the most important processes within the muscular/nervous systems that help make our bodies so amazing. I have learned from working on this assignment that the CNS/PNS along with the other systems in the body are all connected through sensory communication and reactions.

No comments: