Thursday, November 13, 2008

Unit Three: Online Lab/Muscle Function

INTRODUCTION:
Much of the work of the body depends on the contraction of skeletal
muscles. In this experiment you will first observe the characteristics of
muscle contraction and then will investigate the effects of two factors -
temperature and fatigue - on the action of your muscles.

MATERIALS:
dishpan of water
narrow strip of paper which will fit around upper arm
ice or snow
rubber ball or clothespin
timer (clock, watch, or stop watch)

PROCEDURE:
The following exercises will help you understand what happens to your
muscles when they contract.


Muscle Action
1. Place your fingers along the angle of your jaw just in front of your
ear. Grit your teeth and observe what happens to the hardness of the
muscles in your cheek.


Answer- My cheek muscle gets harder.


2. With the thumb and little finger of one hand, span the opposite arm's
biceps (front muscle of the upper arm) from the elbow to as close to the
shoulder as possible. Bend the arm and observe the change in the length of
the muscle.

Answer- The span feels shorter between my thumb and little finger.


3. Wrap a strip of paper around your upper arm and mark the circumference
of your arm on the paper. Clench your fist tightly and mark the new
circumference on the paper. Observe what happens to the circumference of
the muscle.

Answer- When I measured the circumference the second time with my fist tightly clenched, I came up with a longer measurement. * My arm circumference was bigger the second measurement.
First measurement 11.2 inches
Second measurement 12.4 inches


Action
1. Count the number of times you can make a fist in 20 seconds. Start with
your hand completely outstretched and make a tight fist each time. Do it
as rapidly as you can.


Record the count in figure one:



2. Now submerge your hand in a dishpan of water to which has been added
snow or ice so that the temperature is near the freezing point. Leave your
hand in the water for one full minute.





3. Remove your hand and immediately count how many forceful fists you can
make in 20 seconds. Record in Figure 1.



Figure 1: Effect of Temperature on Muscle Action


"Temperature"


Normal: Number of fists = 32

Ice Water : Number of fists = 22



Effect of Fatigue on Muscle Action





1. Count how many times you can tightly squeeze a rubber ball in your hand
in 20 seconds. Record in Figure 2.


2. Repeat the squeezing nine more times and record results. Do not rest
between trials.


Figure 2: Effect of Fatigue on muscle action


Trial
# of Squeezes in 20 seconds
1 = 30
2 = 30
3 = 27
4 = 22
5 = 19
6 = 16
7 = 16
8= 14
9 =14
10= 13

ANALYSIS OF DATA:


1. What are the three changes you observed in a muscle while it is working (contracted)?


(1) While the muscle was contracting I noticed it became shorter.


(2) While the muscle was working I noted that it became larger.


(3) While the muscle was being worked it became harder to the touch because of fluid build-up.


2. What effect did the cold temperature have on the action of your hand muscles?

A- The cold temperature affected my hand muscle in two ways that I noticed. The first thing I noticed was that my total number of squeezes was lower. The other thing I noticed in my hand muscle was that with the cold I was not able to squeeze as hard into a fist Explain: With the cold temperature, my blood flow was slowed down into the muscle and the reaction of chemicals relaying message to the brain and then signaling muscle contraction was slowed down due to cold. For contractions calcium binds to troponin and it exposes binding sites and utilizes ATP in the muscular junction. When the temperature is lowered in the arm and hand, this process can not work as efficiently because the body is also working toward homeostasis.


3. In Figure 3, make a line graph of your results of the fatigue experiment. Be sure to fill in the values on the vertical axis. - NOT REQUIRED AS PER LARRY FROLICH ASSIGNMENT DIRECTIONS!

4. What effect did fatigue have on the action of your hand muscles?


Fatigue made my hand muscle contractions slow down so I was not able to do as many squeezes as when I first started. I also noticed that I had to concentrate more to squeeze firmly. I noticed in my forearm especially that the muscle there was getting warmer (burning sensation) and also felt harder as well. Explain. I think part of the explanation is because as my hand muscle became more fatigued the glucose in my muscle was being broken down into lactate anaerobically as more ATP was being produced after my small stored amount was used up. I think the burning pain in my forearm was lactate build up (fermentation) along with the fatigue.


5- Conclusion:Explain on a cellular level how cold and fatigue would affect muscular action.


On a cellular level I believe both cold and fatigue conditions can be related to the cellular respiration concept. Most ATP is supplied by Cellular respiration. This process uses glucose and fatty acids combined with a molecule that stores oxygen to make ATP. The APT breaks down chemically at binding sites to relay messages through motor units for contractions. The cold and fatigue would both affect the hand muscles blood flow and that in turn would make the oxygen level as well as creatin, calcium, and other mineral chemical levels either increase or restricted. This would explain the slowed response, the weakened ability, and the hotness in the adjoining muscles along with in the hand muscle.






No comments: